Sunday, May 10, 2009

 

No Turning Back Now



I think I've passed the point of no return. On Thursday I had 7 holes in the ground but now I've got posts set in concrete. BTW, would you believe my Subaru will hold 4x4x8 posts?


For the rest of the wood I think I'm just going to rent the Home Depot flatbed truck. It's only $20 for the first 75 minutes. My house is only 5 minutes from the store so I won't use much gas either (the real "trick" on that rental is that the truck only get 8MPG and you pay $6.50/gallon if you don't refuel it).

I have a friend who is a carpenter in New Hampshire. He told me to really take it slow on the placement, leveling, and adjustments. I'm glad I did. My holes weren't perfectly aligned (it's near impossible with the mechanized auger) but by really adjusting I was able to get it so overall ever post was less than 1.5" out from the theoretical center and line and there was no more than 1" difference between any adjacent posts. I know those specs aren't great but I think they're pretty good for my first complete fence and given the board-batten look and dark color planned, I don't think it will be visually noticeable.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?