Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Wedding Season

So I've been a little busy with going to weddings. Does this sound like the beginning of an excuse? Well, it is. I probably could have gotten more done this weekend but with one day gone I felt like spending at least half of yesterday relaxing. And so I did.

WHAT I DID GET DONE

I've been a bit hesitant to write this up since I'm a bit disappointed in the results. Unless you were born into a family of builders like this guy (whose restovation I greatly admire Drummond House ) you'll find yourself having some moments of disappointment. And those of you who have even "dabbled" in home improvement have assuredly experienced this. For me, it's the thought that comes from spending 4 hours on something -- taking care to try and do it "right" -- only to find that the results reek of lazy corner-cutting.

I wish someone would make a comprehensive book with best practices for home restoration -- something that at least gives a good starting point for thing like removing flakey paint, treating the wood, and repainting. A comprehensive "restoration guide." Unfortunately, if it exists, I haven't found it yet.

BEFORE


This was on a side of the house not really visible from anywhere around the yard and as far as I can tell, had only been painted 3 times in the last 51 years. I whipped out the handy paint scraper (great exercise, btw) and even have some battle scars. Unfortunately, the scraper tore of the wood pretty good, which isn't surprising in hindsight given the state of neglect. I followed up with an orbital sander using 100 grit. Then I primed and painted:

AFTER


This photo doesn't really show it but that fascia board is more pock-marked than a sophomore band geek's face. You can't really see it unless you're A. in my neighbor's yard or B. on a ladder next to it in mine. But still...it bugs me. Should I have used a wire brush attachment on my drill instead? Anyhow, it's a lot better than it was, but I'm still a little disappointed.

Comments:
I'm glad you like my blog, I understand your pain things never go exactly the way you want them to. Luckily for us the majority of people don't notice those little things that will drive us crazy (little imperfections in a fascia). I was going to recomend to you that if your checking/ gouges are really bad you may patch it with bondo. I've done this a couple of times on other projects and with some work you can even fake the wood grain back in if you don't want it to just be sanded smooth. If you have any questions shoot me an email. I really like your house and I've been looking at your blog a lot longer than mine has even been around.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?