Sunday, May 14, 2006

 

Painting

Painting is a laborious chore...unless you have an airless sprayer. Even then it's no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise. Over the last few weeks I've been struggling with finding a new paint scheme. Exterior paint schemes are tough. On one hand you something that looks great and really sets your house apart. On the hand, you don't want to be that house where the neighbors snicker, "What was he thinking?" In my case, it's an even tougher dichotomy. I want to have that connection with nature but too Earthy and it looks dirty like the 70s. Too modern and cool and it's cold.

But, I think after some serious thinking. I got it right. It's different; it's unique; it's grounded; it takes flight. For simplicity, I'm keeping the body color the same: warm tan. Last time I showed you the super-dark brown for the beams. I was planning on painting the fascia boards and eaves the same brown. However, I began to think it would look dirty and dated. Finally, I got the right inspiration: silver. It was right in front of me all along in the door knobs, outdoor light, and stainless steel house numbers. Anyhow, here's an example (my camera color is off, there's very little "blue" in person:


I also took a new picture of the front of the house:


I did the silver color in a satin finish whereas everything else is flat...just to give it a bit of pop. I was half-tempted to use the Rust-Oleum aluminum paint (very reflective and metallic looking) but knowing my luck someone would be blinded, run into a telephone pole, and sue me. Interestingly enough, when I look at the above picture, I can't help but think how great it will look with a new front door.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?