Tuesday, May 23, 2006

 

And we say we don't care what others think...

I'm always amazed when I hear someone say, "I don't care what others think." Inevitably, when restovating a house, there comes a moment when family and friends want to visit to see "the progress." At this time, even the staunchest espousers of the "I don't care what others think" religion will launch into a frenzy to complete half-finished projects. Suddenly, the wherwithal to complete long-since forgotten projects will magically be found. And thus, despite having only one day to work on the house this past weekend, I got lot done. My motivation: the family (grand parents and all!) are arriving from AZ for my brother's college graduation (University of Redlands -- Go Bulldogs!) and to pay me a visit as well.

Beams -- Gotta Love 'Em

I'm lucky. I've the real deals, not those fake, 70's inspired faux beam (fweems?). Like most sellers, the previous owners did the typical 1-coat "whitewash" of paint before selling. Unfortunately, this also has the effect of anesthetizing any details. I decided to continue the treatment I tried out in the master bedroom with the "almost black" super-dark-brown beam color. It goes well with anything.


It gives the house a sense of seriousness and a little bit more weight. I like it. Here's an angle from outside:


Courtyard Painting

I also completed some more courtyard painting. When I painted the outside of the fireplace I discovered that the tan on 75% of the house was not the same as the grey-tan in the courtyard.

BEFORE


AFTER


I think it turned out pretty well. It never ceases to amaze me how a fresh, clean coat of paint can make just about anything look 10x better. I particularly notice this when I see houses for sale with peeling exterior paint on the front facade or trim boards. The first impression could be improved so much with just a weekend and $100 worth of paint and materials.

Comments:
ahhh - visitors are the best motivators!

will be looking to see what you do with your courtyard... the house looks great.
 
Great blog Stephen! The place is looking nice.
I have dreamed of a nice MCM home since I was kid. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to sell my condo and get into something like this, but the prices on the Long Beach Cliff Mays might be a bit out of reach for my wife and I.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?